Let’s talk about sun protection. You are wearing it right? Please say yes. Yes? Great.
As an esthetician I know that our skin requires sun protection and some common sense to maintain it’s youthful glow. I love the sun but I understand my skins limits and I want to look young forever and ever. So…I wear sunblock…every single day.
The majority of my clients are concerned about aging but they often don’t even think to incorporate sun protection into their daily routine. Even small amounts of everyday exposure can affect your skins health.
There is a large debate within the health and wellness community of what type of sun protection is best but that is for another blog post. For right now let’s discuss why it is important to wear sun protection.
- Sunburned skin hurts…a lot. Although the pain, redness, and blisters will fade, the damage sticks around to wreak havoc.
- Skin cancer usually appears in adulthood, but it is caused by sun exposure and sunburns that began as early as childhood. It all adds up.
- Sun exposure and repeated sunburns accelerate the skin’s aging process, making you look older than you are. Skin changes caused by UV light are called photoaging. The results of photoaging include: weakening of the skins connective tissue reducing elasticity, wrinkles, increased dryness and flaking, small red veins on the nose, ears and cheeks, and dark spots.
Sunburn is better prevented than treated. To prevent a sunburn do these things here:
- Use a broad spectrum sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher. A broad spectrum sunscreen protects from both UVB and UVA rays.
- Apply a generous amount of sunscreen to fully cover exposed skin. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours or as often as the label says.
- Apply sunscreen after swimming or sweating and even when it is cloudy.
- Use a lip balm with sunscreen.
- Wear a hat and other protective clothing. Light-colored clothing reflects the sun most effectively.
- Stay out of the sun during hours when the sun’s rays are strongest between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
- Wear sunglasses with UV protection.
So…wear sun protection! My daily sunblock is easy to blend and does not leave a white, chalky residue. I use Vital Therapy, the same brand I use at Mint Skincare Studio. And again…use it every day! Even walking to and from the car, driving to work, and sitting by a window exposes your skin to UV rays…like I said before…it all adds up! Prevention now is far easier than repair later.